Latest update20 August 2020
Race to the Sun
With just 44 days to the 2020 edition of Race to the Sun, we have a few very important updates all entrants need to be aware of. We are cautiously optimistic and excited to host this event on 3 October 2020. However, there are still a few challenges surrounding Covid-19 regulations and CSA sanctioning which could potentially lead to further postponement of the race.
- The National State of Disaster has been extended to 15 September 2020 and we are currently under Lockdown Level 2. What this means for cycle events is that from September we will be allowed only 300 riders per event and only 50 riders per batch
- We capped Race to the Sun entries on 1000 riders. The reason being that we are anticipating and hoping that from October, regulations will allow for a maximum of 1000 riders and larger batches per event.
- Advendurance is working closely with Cycling South Africa who, in turn, is liaising directly with the Department of Sport & Recreation to facilitate the regulated re-opening of cycling events.
- The collaboration between Advendurance and Cycling South Africa has resulted in the Nissan Trailseeker Buffelsdrift to be the first formally approved cycle event during the pandemic. Advendurance is at the forefront of innovative thinking and execution!
- The next and most important announcement from the President will be on 15 September 2020. Should new regulations and possibly an end to the State of Disaster be announced, our event will continue as advertised on 3 October 2020.
- In the worst case scenario, where regulations are not relaxed, we will announce a new date for the event within that week.
- Please rest assured that, as with all Advendurance events, we have a full refund policy or you could simply choose to keep your entry for the next event at no extra cost (even if there is an increase in entry fee). Your entry will always be secure.
- Currently, the 1000 entries are sold out and we have 114 riders registered on the waiting list. There are currently 170 entries still unpaid. As of 20 August 2020, those riders will forfeit their entry if not settled in full. This will allow the growing waiting list riders to grab a last-minute entry into the most sought after cycle event for 2020.
- We sincerely apologise for the uncertainty, but please know that we are moving mountains to make Race to the Sun a reality in 2020.
- Watch this space for regular updates.